Saturday, February 2, 2008

Introductions

As I was walking to the bus station earlier this night, I was struck by the profound sense of eeriness that seemed to permeate the rainy night. Whether it was a consequence of lack of sleep or weariness from the ninjutsu practice I was going from – or a combination of the two – was irrelevant. What mattered was that the batteries of my iPod had just died, and that I looked up from the wet and gum-covered street and noticed how reality had shifted just a little. The noises, smells and sights of a medium-sized town that had been my home for 7 years greeted me, and it all felt new and extraordinary. Every face I passed was starkly in focus, burning into my retinas, snippets of conversations and the sound of the rain (which had that indistinct, wavy quality, like water from a hose pointed straight up) kissing the pavements drummed in my ears. I was a camera, recording a panorama of extraordinary mundanities in high-definition.


It felt like...an introduction, of sorts. It was like an introductory shot to some gritty, urban drama movie – ironically, the simile was formed in my thoughts as I walked by the local cinema. The sense of heightened perception I was currently revelling in had only befallen me once before, when I wrote my first short story. Then as now, I was struck by a certainty: it was time. Simple as that. A compulsion, irresistible in its pull, had me once again in its grip, and I had no other choice but to heed it.


An introduction was laid before me tonight, and it would have been sacrilege not to follow up on it. I had intended to make a blog for myself for a long time now, and tonight it was time. The choice, by providence or personal dispositions, left my hands and made itself.


I have now cast my voice into the ether, for anyone to listen to if they so choose. Hello.

6 comments:

Nightflyer said...

Hi. ^^
You're a really good writer Björn. Honestly, I look forward to your next post.

Could you pleas take away the word verification? <_<

Yeonni said...

Mm, I love that piece of text, my dear. Wonderfully worded, it's almost as if one can taste the world you saw for a moment. Hello and welcome!

Rik said...

Welcome to the blogosphere. Prepare to be noticed. Also I agree - you are a hellasseously good writer, and unless I am mistaken English A2 has kept you in good shape.

All hail!

D said...

The most amazing thing about music is when it goes silent.

And I stick to my opinion that when it comes to creative writing, at least in the category of style, Björn in unsurpassed within our circle of friends. Keep writing Björn, I'll keep reading.

Sara said...

I agree with the rest of you. Björn you're soo good. Keep up the good work :D

Nefandus said...

Aww, you make me blush (like two rosy, pink summer-clouds forming upon my cheeks)...

But seriously, thank you. ^_^